Link to Media Watch story.
Mike Duffy: This is New Delhi’s main Commonwealth Games Stadium. And this is the police security gate. While they’re distracted by their own cars, I breeze in with an oversized suitcase. There are dozens of police but nobody asks me what it’s for. And this is no ordinary piece of luggage.
— Channel Seven News, 20th September, 2010
For anyone who watched Media Watch last night, 27 September, they would know what a beat up and crock of shit Mike Duffy’s story was. India seems to have become the latest target for a country that seems to pride itself on attacking the weak, venerable and exposed to compensate for what I can only describe as a lack of national balls – Australia seems to suffer from Small Dick Syndrome (SDS).
Putting aside Duffy’s pathetic attempts at journalism and acting – he also seems to suffer from SDS – let’s look at the allegations being aired by Australia against India and compare them to our own track record.
The allegations against India seem to be that:
- A foot bridge collapsed;
- The venue isn’t complete; and
- Security isn’t up to scratch.
Reading comments on Yahoo posted under a story headed Criticism a conspiracy, says Games chief the general premise of the posts is that Indians are corrupt, lazy and well, just incompetent. Fairly stereotypical racist language.
Lets looks at the facts regarding Australia.
- A half-built bridge, part of the Gungahlin Drive Extension project In Canberra, our nation’s capital, collapsed on Saturday afternoon 14 August during a concrete pour, injuring 15 workers. Much more serious than a foot bridge collapsing in Delhi! (Source – Bridge collapse sparks safety blitz, 16 August 2010, Canberra Times);
- Bruce Stadium ACT – again in our nation’s capital, became a point of embarrassment for Australia in the lead up to the 2000 Sydney Olympics. The stadium did not meet IOC standards and in an attempt to disguise the extent of the fiasco the then ACT Chief Minister Kate Carnell spray painted the grass green! Integrity, honesty and competence from our nation’s capital. (Source – “Bruce Stadium—Turf”. ACT Hansard. ACT Legislative Assembly. 31 August 2000. pp. 2736–7, retrieved on 28 September, 2010); and
- On 6 September 2007, eight members of the Chaser’s team including Chas Licciardello dressed as Osama bin Laden, drove a motorcade through the Sydney central business district and breached the APEC security zone. (Source – ABC News, 11 charged over Chaser APEC stunt, retrieved on 28 September, 2010 ) Driving two black four wheel drives carrying an Osama Bin Laden look alike through an actual APEC security zone seems to me much more serious than a shonky Channel Seven reporter suffering from SDS carrying an empty suit case through a traffic management barricade nowhere near the actual games venue!
Why is Australia a land of knockers and haters? Is it because there is a national psyche of guilt over the theft and destruction the original settler met Indigenous Australia with? Or are we as a nation yet to grow-up? Either way it’s pathetic!
As far as I’m aware no ACT Public Servant or NSW Police Officer has ever been held accountable over the Gungahlin Drive Extension bridge collapse, the Bruce Stadium debacle or the APEC security breach.
Let’s take a long hard look at ourselves and think, are the Indians corrupt or are we as a nation inherently morally bankrupt and corrupt to the core.